Sunday, March 31, 2013

Crochet Pencil Case Cover

Crochet Pencil Case Cover

I had several of these drink mix containers that I had been saving because I knew I could make something crafty with them. I also have a lot of writing utensils that needed a home. So I thought I could use the containers but dress them up a bit. The outer paper rips off quite easily!






With worsted weight yarn (I used Yarn Bee Soft Secret from Hobby Lobby but I found it to be quite “splitty” for crochet). Very pretty and shiny, though!



H hook

Five colors (I used pink, green, orange, red, and blue)

It’s basically a tube created by crocheting in rounds.  Nothing fancy, but by using some cool colors and a random stripe pattern, we get an unusual finished piece.

Instructions:

This piece is made in rounds that are joined. Break off yarn as needed following the stripe pattern:

1, 2: orange  
3, 4:  red
5:  blue 
6, 7:  orange 
8:  blue
9: red
10:  pink 
11, 12:  blue 
13, 14, 15:  pink 
 
16, 17: lime green 
 
18, 19:  blue 
 
20:  lime green 
21, 22:  pink 
 
23, 24, 25:  blue
26, 27: orange 
28, 29, 30:  blue
31: pink
32, 33: lime green
34, 35: orange

Chain 30, join with slip st to first chain to form a ring (being ever so careful not to twist or you’ll end up with a Moebius strip!).

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in same ch as joining and in each ch around. Join with sl st to first sc

Rds 2-35: Ch 1, sc in same st as joining and in each sc around. Join with sl st to first sc.

Finish off and hide all ends. Then just slide it onto the container. Done!




3 comments:

  1. Very functional and very pretty :)

    I have a few containers and jars I have been meaning to cover - must experiment sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Bright, fun to hook and very useful result! I did the same thing to a shorter container for my husband to store screwdrivers etc in his workshop - it's jollied up his work bench no end! E x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a worsted weight yarn? It looks really similar to Caron Simply Soft. Gorgeous colour choices!

    ReplyDelete